How to Download & Install Cydia without Jailbreak: Cydia is what you jailbreak for – it’s the App Store on iOS that’s older than Apple’s App Store. Seriously – the iPhone when launched in 2007 did not come with an App Store, Cydia was first to bring the idea to iOS. The idea itself wasn’t something new, at the time Ubuntu (a linux distro) already had an Application store front where you could find and install apps in one click much like how it is on iOS today.
Anyway back to the point – you jailbreak your iDevice and the first default “app” you get after jailbreak is Cydia itself. There is no doubt, that if Cydia didn’t exist jailbreaking wouldn’t be as useful as it is today. Today we are going to teach you how to install Cydia without jailbreaking your iDevice – now that sounds weird and it is but it could have its uses.
On Cydia you can find all the tweaks you could ever wish for, anything that iOS can technically do but Apple either hasn’t built it yet or doesn’t allow for it can be achieved in the wonderful land of Cydia.
There are two methods to achieve this, we are going to teach you both of these methods and you can use whichever you like or find easier. Note that both accomplish slightly different results, so keep that in mind and pick the method that precisely give you the results that you desire. This method should be compatible if you have an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
Download & Install Cydia without Jailbreak
First we are going to show you the method that is a bit less complicated and more straight forward, easier the better right? Let’s get this started.
- Let’s start unlocking your iDevice opening the Safari browser – the big blue compass icon.
- Now you have to open Open App Market store, and find Cydia. Or just click on this blue link here.
- Once the site opens you need to tap on the Get It button, and then wait for it do its thing. Have some patience its not going to take long.
- Once it’s done you will see a popup, tap on the Add button in this popup. Then tap on the Add to home screen option and add it to your home screen.
- Now you should have the Cydia icon on your home screen, tap on it and it let it do it go through it’s process. It shouldn’t take long.
- Once it’s done you should have Cydia on your iOS device running without any problems. You should be able to install some of the tweaks and apps that Cydia can offer you.
Now that was nice and straight forward but it might not work for everyone or it might not be what you are looking for so we are also going to teach you a 2nd method that would achieve the same thing. It’s a bit harder than the first method but it will work if you follow the instructions step by step. So be very careful with the instructions, you will require precision and attention.
Here we go!
- You will need to go to mighty Apple’s App Store for this step – so open the App Store from your home screen and find for a “vSSH client”.
- Find it, and download it. While waiting for the download make yourself a sandwich or something. Once it’s done find the option for “Quick connect to network”.
- Now you need your WiFi IP. This is very important – you need to be on your WiFi for this to work.
- To get the Wi-Fi IP goto Settings > WiFi and open the network you are connected to, you should see your IP there.
- Note the IP and then type it in the IP host field in the vSSH app.
- Below it, where it asks for username enter “root”. We are all hackers up over here.
- For the password that it asks below the username, enter “alpine”
- Then press the back button on the top of the screen and then paste this code in the command field.
wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh
- Enter the command like a boss and wait for the download to finish. You can go make another sandwich because the first one didn’t fill you up while this thing downloads.
- Once the download is complete your iDevice should restart itself, if it doesn’t then manually restart it.
- Once the device has booted back up you should see the Cydia icon on your home screen.
And that’s it! You now know both ways to get Cydia on your iDevice without actually jailbreaking it. How cool is that? Of course jailbreaking it would have been faster and easier but whatever floats your boat!