How to Download iFile without Jailbreaking your iPhone & iPad: iOS! The OS that is open and and allows so much customization that every other mobile OS envies Apple’s might. And that’s what sarcasm look like. iOS is a brilliant OS if all you want to do is browse through pages and pages of icons – and apparently that is all the rage between the old people.
While the OS might not provide much freedom, there is a large community of people who think iOS deserves more than just what Apple allows. Maybe a file explorer would do – and that’s where iFile comes in. iFile is what Finder is to OS X or Explorer is to Windows. While there are many file explorers available to download on the Google Play Store, Apple doesn’t give that freedom to its users.
We taught you how to jailbreak your iDevices, but then we taught you how to download torrents without jailbreak. Now, the thing is – how are you supposed to manage those files that you downloaded with the torrents? It’s not like Apple bundles a file explorer with the OS or anything. We already established that it’s too old fashioned for the mighty Apple.
But .. you need to go back in time, perhaps in a box that’s a bit bigger on the inside. Just like your iDevice that has so much storage inside it – but you can’t use it. Because you don’t have a file explorer! We are going to fix that today, so you can use the storage that you paid hundreds of dollars for.
Now since we are already doing things without jailbreaking the device, why not do this without jailbreaking the device as well? Yeah sure It’s a bit hard but not impossible – you need iOS 8.0.2 though, anything above that would probably not work but you are free to try. Apple has patched the hole in their software, there will be another one soon enough of course – it’s Apple after all.
We would still recommend following the guide for jailbreaking and jailbreak the device though, it’s always easier to do these things via Cydia – pretty much as simple as the App Store, all you have to do is use the search and tap the install button.
By the way, when we said you need to go back in time we weren’t joking – you actually need to change the time on your iDevice to 20th September 2014. Don’t ask us how the exploit works – the engineers at Apple do weird things. But that would be in the steps that are to be followed.
So let’s get to it shall we? Let’s install a file explorer on iOS without jailbreaking – it’s practically magic.
Download iFile without Jailbreaking your iPhone & iPad
- Now first things first… you need to set your System Date to 20th September 2014. It’s a bit absurd, but that’s how the security loophole works. The great Apple works in mysterious ways like that. To do so…
- Open settings and goto Date & Time
- Uncheck the “Set Automatically” option so you can manually set the date
- Then use the unintuitive scroll wheel and browse to 20th September 2014.
- Set that as your current date.
- Next you need to go to http://www.pgyer.com/ifile and click the giant green button, and wait for a pop up.
- Once you see the pop up, all you have to do is tap the Install option to start the installation.
- Once it’s done installing you need to see if it’s working – just goto home and see if the icon is there, try launching it and playing around for a bit.
- Now you need to set your System Date back to the real one, since we are done with the exploit. So again…
- Open settings and goto Date & Time
- Check “Set Automatically” this time, and then set it.
That should be it.
Now you have a file explorer to use on your iDevice without jailbreaking. This unlocks tons of possibilities – you can compress uncompressed files! You can uncompress compressed files! You can even cut, copy and paste files, it’s just a well built feature packed file explorer that should be useful every time you are doing anything with the files on your iDevice. But.. you still don’t have access to all the features because you didn’t jailbreak – once again, we recommend jailbreaking your device to unlock its full potential. There’s really nothing wrong with jailbreaking and it’s the best thing to do if you want to get the most out of your 700$+ purchase.