How to Add New Repos to Cydia – Easiest Method 100% Working: Whenever you jailbreak any iOS device you always get Cydia installed – jailbreaking your iDevice is pretty much useless without Cydia. That’s how important Cydia is – it was also the first actual app store on iOS. Cydia is older than Apple’s App Store itself, that fact alone should be enough to tell you how significant Cydia has been in the iOS development process. You can find all the tweaks you could ever think of or need in Cydia – not only because it’s the biggest app store for this, but also because of how it’s designed.
Cydia is designed to use the repository system, this is the system that most Linux distributions use and it gives you extremely high degree of flexibility and freedom with what you want in the App Store. Basically the way this works is – Cydia acts as front end, now you can add however many repo’s to this frontend and it will just fetch data from these repos.
So, for example, if you find something on the internet that looks really cool but when you search for it in Cydia you can’t find it – that means you are not subscribed to the repo it’s in. It’s a bit complicated unlike the Apple App Store but also unlike the App Store this gives you a lot of freedom with what content you want in your Cydia App Store.
Add New Repos to Cydia – Easiest Method 100% Working
Now there are two ways to add a new repo to Cydia, we are going to guide you through both – both of them are quite easy and straightforward if you know what you are doing. It won’t take long so let us get started!
First we are going to teach you how to add one of the repo from the Cydia recommended list. So let’s get to it!
- Tap the brown Cydia icon on your home screen and open it.
- Tap on the Cydia icon on the bottom left to open the main Cydia tab.
- Find the option that says “More Package Sources” on the Cydia home, it should be easy to find.
- Now all the repos recommended by Cydia should be listed in a neat list. Add the one you need or like as you want, there are no restrictions here. Jailbreak quite literally means that.
- Once you tap on a repo you like or need the details page for it will open, click on the Install button on the top right on this screen.
- A popup window might appear, you want to tap Confirm if you really want that repo to be installed.
- Now we need the secret ingredient – patience. Wait for Cydia to do its thing while you go make some not-poisonous instant noodles.
Once Cydia is done doing its thing and you have successfully boiled a some squigly wheat in some water, you should see the repo details page again on the iDevice. This usually means you have subscribed to the repo, so congratulations.
That.. wasn’t so hard, was it? But there is another way to do it, in case you don’t find a repo you want to add in the sources list that Cydia provides – it can happen. This has a tiny requirement though, you need the web address of the repo you want to add. For this example we are going to use http://apt.thebigboss.org – you can use whatever repo you want but we recommend adding this first just so you know what to do and if you get an error it’s easier to figure it out.
So let’s do this!
- Obviously you need to first open Cydia from one of your home screens.
- Tap the Sources button on the bottom left to open the sources tab.
- Tap on the edit option on the top right so we can edit the sources manually.
- A list of all the repos that you have added to Cydia should appear, now tap the Add button on top left.
- A popup should appear asking you for a URL for the repo you want to add, this is where we add the address for the repo.
- Once you have typed or pasted the URL in the box tap on Add Source and wait for Cydia to verify the address, this can take a while. Maybe make a dip to eat with the crisps while you wait.
- Once the repo is verified to be working Cydia might warn you because some repos sometimes can have malware on them, you can tap on Add Anyway to ignore this warning.
- Once it’s verified and added Cydia will start downloading all the items on the repo, this can take a while so you can continue making your dip while you wait for this (again), once it’s done just tap “Return to Cydia” at bottom to return to the home.
And that’s both ways to add a repo to Cydia, once you have added a repo you can just use the search on top right to search anything in those repos and add it to your magical list of tweaks for iOS. Nothing else can you more freedom than this.