How to Downgrade from iOS 8.4.1 to 8.4 on iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad: Apple released iOS 8.4.1 a few weeks back and it had a few performance tweaks and improvements for Apple Music. It also had some bug fixes for the system and performance improvements as well. It is critical that you always stay on the latest version of iOS so that your system is secure and no security problems occur in your device.
iOS 8.4.1 is most probably the last update in the iOS 8.4 series as iOS 9 is just around the corner and Apple is soon going to release it to the public. A major chunk of this update is focused towards making the Apple Music experience better for the public and apart from that there aren’t many bug fixes or improvements that are any how major in nature for iOS.
But if you want to jailbreak your device, then I have some bad news for you as the jailbreak seems to break on iOS 8.4.1 and hence many people want to roll back to iOS 8.4 so they can have it jailbroken. iOS 8.4.1 comes with patches for iOS 8.4 jailbreak which is bad for the jailbreak community.
If you want a functioning jailbroken device then I think you’re better off on iOS 8.4 as jailbreak for updated versions of iOS is still not available so you can wait until they are released before you jailbreak. Avoid updating to iOS 8.4.1 at all costs but if in any case you have updated, and you are regretting the same, I have a solution for you in this post.
How to Downgrade from iOS 8.4.1 to 8.4 on iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad
Before writing this post I saw many websites that are sharing tutorials that no longer work but I have done extensive research before writing this post and hence I have come up with a proper tutorial in which downgrading from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 8.4 works flawlessly and you will be able to perform this on your iPhone or iPad without any problems. But there are a few things that you need to keep in mind and they are:
- Keep your iPhone or iPad charged before this process
- Follow the process properly and do not skip any steps
- If you follow these steps properly I am sure this will work for you and you will be able to downgrade your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 8.4 in no time and without any problems at all so I suggest that you pay attention.
Backing up the data
Before moving any further, we suggest that you backup your data so that you will be on the safer side if something goes wrong. This is an obvious thing to do before performing such process and I will tell you how to backup your data so you can follow that tutorial.
Backup using iCloud – Online
- Turn on Wifi
- Go to Settings > iCloud > Backup.
- Turn on iCloud backup and all the things on your iPhone will be backed up.
Backup using iTunes – Offline
- Connect your iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch and start iTunes
- First of all transfer contents that you purchased by going to File > Devices > Transfer Purchases.
- Let this complete and then go to File > Devices > Back up and this will backup the device you have connected.
- You can check the backups by going to iTunes Preferences > Devices.
Downgrade from iOS 8.4.1 to 8.4 on iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad
- Go to this website and download the suitable firmware for your device.
- Download the iOS 8.4 IPSW file for your device.
- Turn on Airplane mode and disable the Find my iPhone on your iPhone or iPad.
- Start iTunes on your PC or Mac and connect your iOS 8.4.1 device like iPhone, iPad etc.
- Now let iTunes detect your device and then move on to the next steps.
- For Windows press Shift + Alt and for Mac press Option +Alt keys and click Restore iPhone option on iTunes.
- Now select the specific IPSW file and click Open.
- Now you will get an option that says Restore and the restore process will start.
- The restoration process will take some time to complete and you need to wait for some time.
The phone will reboot after the process is complete and you will see that iOS 8.4.1 has been downloaded to iOS 8.4. You can check the version by going to Settings > General > About.
So, this was a small tutorial in which I told you How to Downgrade from iOS 8.4.1 to 8.4 on iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad. If you have any questions then you can ask them in the comments section below.