Best SNES Emulator for iPhone and iPad (Without Jailbreak): Gaming on iOS is pretty good, the developers support it and the users pay for the games – it’s a huge market and Apple has done good things to support it with new APIs to help developers make better games. But sometimes you don’t want to play a modern game – sometimes you want to go back to the past, which we will have to quite literally.
Modern games are cool and all but the classic games you used to play in your childhood bring such addictive nostalgia that you don’t want to quit them. No matter how bad those games were or how badly the arrow of time has treated these games, they will always have a special place for you. The problem is – you can’t run these older games anywhere you want. You need an emulator to run these old games, and that’s quite a bit of a pain to setup – an emulator on iOS generally requires jailbreak.
Best SNES Emulator for iPhone and iPad (Without Jailbreak)
Now while jailbreak is quite easy to achieve and you can follow our handy guide for it if you want to do it right and easy, it might not be your cup of tea. All you want to play is some Donkey Kong not mess around with some command prompts and USB cables. And that’s where this guide comes in. We are going to help you so you can play a round of Donkey Kong by the time you are done reading this and it’s not even going to need you to jailbreak. How awesome is that?
- Now first things first when we said you are going to have to go back in time literally we actually meant literally, so you are going to need to set your system date to 20th September 2014. To do so..
- Open Settings then goto General and tap on Date & Time.
- Uncheck the “Set Automatically” box so iOS lets you manually configure your date and time.
- Now use the wheel of awesome and pick 20th September 2014.
- Set it as your current date and go back.
- Open the Safari browser from your home screen and browse to iemulators.com.
- Tap on the Apps tab and scroll down till you see SiOS, it’s a SNES emulator that’s going to emulate your games for you.
- Tap on SiOS and that should open the details page where you will see an Install button.
- Now tap on the Install button and wait for it to do its thing, it might take a bit.
- If you see a popup that tells you that it failed to download SiOS just keep tapping retry until it works – it will work one of the times.
- Once it works out and the app is finally installed just go back to your home screen and find the SiOS icon.
- Open the SiOS app – if you see a popup asking if you trust this app, tap that you do.
Now you have the emulator running but it doesn’t have any of the games you love! So we are also going to guide you through that as well and teach you how to get the games you want to play on the SiOS emulator. After all that’s why you installed the emulator in the first place.
- Once you are done with the emulator you are going to need some games to play on the emulator, to get a game of your choice go back to the home and open the Safari browser.
- When in Safari browse to coolrom.comand tap on ROM files then scroll down till you see Super Nintendo.
- Now tap on a game of your choice from here, once you have picked a game scroll down and tap on the Download Now button.
- While you download your ROM go order yourself some delicious Indian food, don’t forget the extra chutney.
- Once the ROM has finished downloading, look at the top right corner and you will see an option that says Open in SiOS.
- Just tap on that and the game should load in the emulator just fine – you can play it however you want, and even have the controls over layed on top of the game.